These are two videos illustrating the mechanisms of rebirth and dependent origination using the mind works model.
The first video (above) shows the cognitive series.* When we die the five senses cease to exist. However the last contact made from one of the five sense just before death can generate three more thoughts shown as secondary, tertiary and quaternary cognitive series (please see the video 1 above).
In the background of ignorance (see video 2 below) one of these mental formations (thoughts) can then become the last thought (rebirth/generative kamma) that determines the future consciousness (rebirth consciousness). The consciousness in turn will determine the name-and-form of the future birth.
The name-and-form together with consciousness in the new embryo will form the six senses and with birth this will continue the cycle all over again (also see video 2 below) ending up with old age, sickness and death. The second video below shows the 12 step dependent origination as described in the suttas.
Here are the 12 step dependent origination as described in a sutta.
1. From ignorance as a requisite condition come mental formations (fabrications).
2. From Mental formations (fabrications) as a requisite condition comes consciousness.
3. From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-&-form.
4. From name-&-form as a requisite condition come the six sense media.
5. From the six sense media as a requisite condition comes contact.
6. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling.
7. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving.
8. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance.
9. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming.
10. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth.
11. From birth as a requisite condition,
12. Then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play.
Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress & suffering.
* Cognitive series is explained in the post below: