Sunday, November 29, 2009
How to grow a tree of wisdom....
This is the method how you grow this tree to bear tasty fruits.
1. Before you plant the seed, you need to prepare the soil (fertile).
2. Then you need to water it well.
3. When the tree grows you have to clean the roots.
4. Then you have to remove the worms that may damage the tree.
5. Finally you have to remove the spider webs from the tree for it to grow to full potential and bear tasty fruits.
In the simile here: Preparing the soil is morality (Sila), watering is acquiring knowledge of Dhamma (Sutha), Cleaning the roots is discussing Dhamma and clearing doubts ( Dhamma sarkach-cha), Clearing the worms is breath meditation (Samatha) and suppressing the five hindrances, and finally removing spider webs is mindfulness meditation (vipassana).
This is taken from a sutta I have heard called, "Anngghita sutta.
Note: I did not find the simile in the translation here...