Monday, February 16, 2009

"A crack on my windshield"


Photo 1



Photo 2

I recently had a small crack on the windshield of my car. I was just trying to take a photo of it so that I would keep a record of its size before I could repair it.

I found it was so difficult to take a picture of it. Every time I try to focus on crack the automatic feature in the camra would only take a clear photo of outside and may be a faint picture of the crack on the windshield (Photo 1). Finally I had to use the manual focus feature to get a clear photo of the crack (Photo 2).

Now what does this teach us?

It is easier for us to see the faults and deficiencies of others than our own. Just like the camera lens, our eye together with the mind are in an "automatic mode" to "focus" on others. However to see our own faults we have to make a special effort, just as we have to put the camera into the manual mode.

According to Buddha the fault finding mind is also a hindrance to the progress of this path.
Please see the following link to learn more about the fault finding mind and how it can hinder the path to enlightenment (see labels).

No comments: